Saltar al contenido

Child Support Enforcement Lawyer in Denver

Can Colorado Laws Enforce Child Support Orders?

In Colorado, there are many different child support programs that have been developed to help ensure that parents meet their responsibility to support their children. Child support orders are established by the court for the non-custodial parent to pay the other parent or guardian with whom the child lives. These orders are legally binding and must be followed until the court tells you otherwise or until the child reaches the age of emancipation.

Unfortunately, there are many times when a parent leaves town to avoid paying support or simply refuses to comply with the court order. In cases of this nature, there are different enforcement methods available to help parents collect the support they are legally owed. If you need help collecting past-due support, feel free to contact a Denver family attorney at our firm.

How to Enforce a Child Support Order in Denver

In order to collect past due child support, courts have devised various legal methods and penalties to help persuade noncustodial parents to make payments on time. Some penalties for those who do not pay support would include license suspension and passport denial. This means that the non-custodial parent will not be able to drive or leave the country until they are up to date with their child support payments. Aside from small fines, the court can go further and find other means to collect back support.
The most common methods of execution in Colorado include:

Deduct child support from your paycheck

Deduct support from your unemployment or workers’ compensation benefits

Deduct support from your lottery winnings

Deduct child support from your tax refund

Using the wage garnishment

Placement of liens on your property

Turning to federal prosecution

Do you need help enforcing a child support order in Denver?

There is no right or wrong way when it comes to enforcing child support orders. By speaking with an experienced family law attorney, you can determine which method of enforcement would be most appropriate for your situation. Our firm also helps clients modify child support and custody orders. When the parties experience a significant change in circumstances where the original order is no longer in the best interests of the child, then the court will consider modifying the agreement. If the non-custodial parent has experienced a reduction in wages or was recently laid off from their employer, then it may be appropriate to modify the amount of child support. On the other hand, if the child’s needs or health care costs have increased, then you could also seek to increase the amount of child support.

Call the Jones Law Firm, PC right away!

Here at the Jones Law Firm, PC, you can trust that we are ready to take the time to listen to your needs and provide you with trustworthy legal advice that is in your best interest. Our legal team has extensive experience enforcing and modifying court orders, and we can help you aggressively pursue a favorable outcome in your case. We work closely with our clients and have learned to draw on our past experience to help provide exceptional legal advice in every case.

Our legal team has helped clients resolve a wide range of family law issues, including child custody, child support, paternity, alimony, visitation, domestic abuse, and much more. Our firm represents clients facing or seeking enforcement action and we are prepared to do everything in our power to bring the case to a fruitful conclusion. If you are seeking to enforce or modify a child support order, contact our firm today to consult with a Denver family attorney at (888) 850-9851.